Have you ever wondered how many watts an air fryer uses? Air fryers do not use a lot of electricity, but this depends on the size of the appliance. A small-sized air fryer uses 800 to 1000 watts, a medium-sized air fryer uses 1200 to 1400 watts, while a large-sized air fryer roughly needs 1600 to 1800 watts.
Among the 40% of the energy consumption in American homes, 15% is consumed in the kitchen alone. In all kitchen appliances, the trends for air fryers are rising due to the love for fried foods without using tons of oils.
So, if you have recently bought an air fryer and wondering how much burden it will cause on your electricity bills, don’t worry. Compared to other electrical appliances, you can save up to 75% of electricity with a good quality air fryer.
We have shared a brief overview of wattage and amperes an air fryer needs to do the job. Read out to learn details.
How Much Electricity Does An Air Fryer Use?
Including the size, the electricity used also depends on the air fryer’s running duration and quality. For an hour, a standard quality air fryer will use 1.5 kWh per hour of operation. While from model to model, the electricity usage can vary from 1 to 2 kWh per hour of operation. You can simply calculate it by dividing the air fryer rating by 1000 and then multiplying it by the number of hours.
Air fryers use only a little electricity compared to ovens and other kitchen appliances. However, on average, an air fryer will use 1400 watts, while a traditional oven can typically use 3000 watts. So, it is obvious that air fryers are more energy efficient.
Let’s say an air fryer will use 1400 W in 1/2 hour (30 minutes).
1400 W × 1/2 = 700 Wh
However, for a monthly estimation:
700 Wh × 30 = 21 kWh.
If 1 kWh costs 13 cents to run the air fryer for half an hour daily in a month:
21 kWh × $0.13 = $2.73 per month
While for the same values, a 3000-watt oven for half an hour will use 1500 Wh, and for 30 days, the average wattage will be 45 kWh. For the cost of 13 cents per kWh, an oven will cost $5.85 per month, which is comparably higher than an air fryer.
How Many Watts Does An Air Fryer Use?
An air fryer can use different watts depending on the different sizes of the appliance. However, the range can typically vary from 800 watts to 1800 watts.
You can see the wattage displayed in the product description of the appliance, which you can use as a reference to estimate the wattage under government regulations for air fryers or other electrical appliances.
Note: If you do not know the difference between watts and amperes, watts are the amount of consumed power by an appliance, while amperes refer to the current strength passing through the unit.
Low Wattage Air Fryers
- A small-sized air fryer requires less wattage ranging between 800 to 1000 watts.
- These air fryers are the best choice for preparing small meals.
- For camping and single-person servings, these appliances feature a 1.2-quart capacity.
Medium Wattage Air Fryers
- A medium-sized or medium-wattage air fryer has an average capacity of 2 to 4 quarts.
- The wattage requirement varies from 1200 to 1400 watts for a 2 to 3 quarts air fryer.
- However, for a 4 quarts air fryer, 1600 watts are needed.
- These are efficient for cooking for a family of 4 to 5 members.
High Wattage Air Fryers
- Usually, the high-wattage air fryers use 1800 watts due to their large capacity to cook food.
- These air fryers are perfect for large families to fry chicken to pizzas.
- The average capacity of these units is 6 quarts, while some have 32 quarts capacity and require only 1800 watts as the highest wattage.
How Many Amps Does An Air Fryer Use?
The amps used by an air fryer range from 6.67 amps to 15 amps on a 120 V circuit and, in some units, from 3.33 amps to 7.5 amps on a 240 V circuit. Depending on the appliance’s wattage, an air fryer will need amperes between 6 amps to 15 amps.
Here is a chart consisting of wattage converted into amperes to estimate how many amps will be needed by an air fryer knowing its wattage.
|Air Fryer (Wattage)||Air Fryer (Amperes at 120 V)|
How Many Amps Does A Cuisinart Air Fryer Use?
A Cuisinart air fryer requires 1800 watts, equal to 15 amps at 120 voltage, and 16.4 amps at 110 voltage, while for 240 voltage current, they need 7.5 amps.
These air fryers are considered high-wattage units that need more power to operate.
How Many Amps Does A PowerXL Air Fryer Use?
A PowerXL air fryer has standard 1700 watts that need 15.45 amps at 110 V, 14.16 amps at 120 V, and 15.45 amps at 240 V.
The benefit of relying on these units is cooking more food in less time without much energy consumption.
How Many Amps Does A Ninja Air Fryer Use?
A Ninja air fryer of 1500 watts usually consumes 12.5 amps at 120 voltage. However, for 240 voltage, the amperes get considerably low to 6.25 amperes. The ampere draw is low in the Ninja air fryer, even at higher wattage. A cloth iron usually requires 10 to 12 amps which is at least an average of the 1500-watt air fryer.
What Factors Affect Watts/Amps Consumption of An Air Fryer?
Multiple factors decide the air fryer watts, ranging from the size, voltage, and time to frequency of use; all play a role in estimating power consumption.
Here are why these factors are significant to consider:
- The size of the fryer is the most important factor, as a large-sized air fryer will need more wattage than a smaller air fryer.
- Voltage also decides the power consumption, as a 120 V air fryer will draw more amps than a 240 V. More current is required to compensate for low voltage.
- Another factor is how often you use an air fryer. It will estimate the electricity consumption. If you use it more often, more electricity will be used.
- The average duration of running an air fryer helps calculate its current or electricity.
Are 1500 watts enough for an air fryer?
Usually, 800 to 1500 watts is most recommended in terms of power usage. The wattage can lie between 800 to 1000 watts in smaller air fryers, but in larger air fryers, 1500 to 1800 watts is quite sufficient.
Do air fryers use a lot of electricity?
No, air fryers do not take much electricity if you compare them with other electrical home appliances such as ovens. They do not need to run all the time and make only a little change in your monthly bills. An air fryer is more energy efficient than an oven.
Fortunately, air fryers are great energy savers without increasing electricity bills. However, depending on your requirements and budget, you must know the air fryer watts and the average cost spent on electricity consumption.
This way, you can choose the right air fryer per your requirements and get the desired outcome without stressing over bills.